mitochondria
Ventrilo
Follow via Facebook Follow via Twitter Follow via YouTube Follow via RSS Steam Group

Author Topic: WildStar  (Read 6969 times)

Ratio

• Admin
WildStar
« on: Jul 28, 2011, 08:25 PM »
Raiding
Quote from: Jeremy Gaffney
We’ll start with Elder Games – and specifically Raids (though solo elder games and PVP elder games get love from us too).  For us, we think that a solid raiding game is critically important, because coordinated elder game group gameplay is both (done right) fun as hell and super challenging, which is exactly the kind of thing we like to attach great rewards too. 

And to hell with just having a raid system for the sake of it – we want one cool enough where the best raiding guilds come to WildStar.  Which means we need to both do the regular stuff well and have some cool new stuff to take things to the next level.

So we’re a bit old-school.  Big ass raids.  Tough raids.  Raids you have to earn your way into beating, and raids that aren’t made so your grandma can make it through.   Sure, we can make things easier over time - but only if there are new challenges to give a tough time to the hardest of the hardcore.

And we want to be new-school, and then graduate from that and use the learning to design a yet newer school. Dynamic content.  Competitive weekly challenges based on the dynamic changes during the week.  Epic rewards weekly for being the best or the fastest on your server or worldwide.

Quote from: Timetravel
Week to Week (and Fight to Fight) Variance

Raids are never intended to be one-shot content. Our goal, and the goal of most raid content, is provide extremely challenging repeatable content for players to enjoy and battle against over an extended period of days, weeks, or months. One of the design goals we've had since the beginning, which Jeremy and Mike Donatelli have both talked about in interviews, is to work our hardest to keep that content fresh. The zone and encounters should remain familiar from week to week but also offer enough variance to feel fresh as well. We've worked hard to incorporate that in many ways within our instances, from 5-man dungeons all the way up through the biggest 40-man raids. We want players to look forward to the instance each week, not dread a slog through 'repetitive' content just to improve their +2 Sword of Boss-slaying to +3.

Dungeon layouts, encounter composition, individual abilities, inherently random events, progression paths within an instance…we've really tried to push the number of ways to keep things fresh as much as possible. Our class system also allows us to create encounters with a very different raid composition required to face it without crippling the raids--our players will be able to modify their roles and abilities quickly and easily while not in combat, giving each encounter the freedom to be different from each other.

Challenge/Achievement/Progression

I touched on this briefly in the last section, but some of the big draws raid content has for many of our employees are the sheer challenges they present, the achievement felt upon defeating an extremely difficult encounter, and feeling of progression through such hard instances. (Also, totally off topic, but "many of our employees" is no exaggeration. We set up a brainstorming meeting a long time ago with the basic premise of "What do y'all want to see in our Raid content?" and asked for only folks who considered themselves experienced raiders to attend. I, uh, I'm pretty sure half the company signed up and attended - opinions in tow - for the meeting.) Challenging content and the joy it can bring is something that many folks here are very passionate about, and we really want to bring that sort of meta gameplay to all of our players. Jeremy has talked about rankings and weekly challenges before as something we'll have - on top of the difficult and rewarding content for our PvE-focused players.

The last point on this topic, is to not assume that raids will be "the endgame" as is the case in many MMOs. It is simply "an endgame." For players who don't love this sort of content, there will be many other avenues and heaps of other Elder game content that will not require a player to set a foot inside a 20- or 40-man instance. But I'm a raider at heart, so I'm really looking forward to gifting you all with the most enjoyable wipes I can manage!

PvP

Quote from: Jen Gordy
In WildStar, we want player skill in PvP combat to enable access to the best rewards that PvP will offer. To meet that goal, players will have an individual Elo rating (similar to League of Legends) for each PvP feature (Battlegrounds, Arena, Warplot PvP) that is used as a representation of player skill. The rating will be used for matching, as well as to determine access for buying higher quality gear and other types of rewards.

The end result: As they get higher ratings, skilled players will filter to the top, opening up new gear options to stay competitive with players of similar ratings. New players to the game will start at the bottom and will be matched to players who are also starting out or are still learning the ropes.

If you’re not in a competitive mood or are trying out PvP for the first time and don’t want to throw off your rating, you can participate in “open” play, where you are matched with other players based on your gear.

"WildStar Flavor" also means giving you choices. This is where Warplot PvP shines. In Warplot PvP, Warparties (formal guild-like structures – you can be in a Warparty and you can be in a guild!) will be able to own large plots of land in which they can add modifications to build up their base. The Warparty can then queue up for Warplot PvP and be matched against similarly skilled/built-out opponents. Warparty players will be able to damage and destroy modifications, repair their own modifications, and lay down mines, traps, and much more. There’s nothing static about that!

Quote from: Chris Lynch
Our follow-up solution to these frustrations is something we call “Breakout Gameplay”. We view crowd control as a prison, and we wanted to make sure that anytime you are in this prison you have some type of gameplay that lets you "breakout." Using this design philosophy, we are able to take a wide variety of the crowd control states that MMO players are all-too-familiar with and update them to a system that provides a more interactive and less frustrating experience. We were also able to come up with a few crowd control states that you may not have seen that we find to be very fun.
« Last Edit: Mar 23, 2013, 03:13 PM by Ratio »

Happiness is when you play a game so well that people call you a hacker.

There are two types of people in the world, those who can extrapolate from incomplete information.

Ratio

• Admin
Meet the Exiles
« Reply #1 on: Feb 06, 2013, 07:30 PM »

There are two types of people in the world, those who can extrapolate from incomplete information.

Ratio

• Admin
Meet the Dominion
« Reply #2 on: Feb 13, 2013, 06:35 PM »

Ratio

• Admin
What is WildStar?
« Reply #3 on: Mar 20, 2013, 07:52 PM »

Ratio

• Admin
Dev Speak: Housing
« Reply #4 on: Mar 23, 2013, 03:39 PM »
« Last Edit: Mar 23, 2013, 03:59 PM by Ratio »

Loxx

• Alumni
Re: WildStar
« Reply #5 on: Mar 23, 2013, 08:47 PM »
What's that you say?  2 opposing factions?  How revolutionary!   ::)

Other than that... it really looks promising.

Ratio

• Admin
Casuals
« Reply #6 on: Mar 25, 2013, 02:04 PM »
Re: Appealing to casuals

Quote from: Jeremy Gaffney
We don’t walk a tightrope: we’re very willing to throw ourselves right off it. It’s the hardcore that matters in the long haul. If you don’t appeal to the hardcore, you’ve got no one to get up to the high level. It’s not us, you know? We’re hardcore gamers. First and foremost it’s to appeal to those complex gamers, those players that want the depth, and if we can make it so we’re not scaring off players that are new to it, rock on. That’s cool by us.

Most important are the gamers. But we’re important too. If we get bored of our game we’ll make a crap game. There’s no tightrope: it’s hardcore first, honestly.

Loxx

• Alumni
« Reply #7 on: Mar 25, 2013, 03:27 PM »
Did a lot of reading up on this over the weekend.  If they can deliver half of what they hyped this could be a truly amazing mmo.  Best in a long time anyway.  I'm definitely all-in at this point.  I even signed up for beta... twice

Fixate

• Alumni
  • MVP
« Reply #8 on: Mar 25, 2013, 03:40 PM »
40 man raids? Sign me the fuck up yo

Mag

• Officer
« Reply #9 on: Mar 25, 2013, 03:43 PM »
This game was being demo'd on the floor at PAX. I wish I had known about it a week ago, I would have payed more attention and given it some playtime. As it was, I watched the promo videos on their displays, and watched about 3 minutes of gameplay. I was confused about what genre the game was for a good long while; seeing the gameplay left me unsure if it was an ARPG or a MOBA for the first minute or two. When I realized it was probably an MMO I dismissed it as being another entry in a crowded genre.

As it is, I've got some of their swag, but even that is very text-light. I'm disappointed I wasn't paying more attention here.

Ratio

• Admin
« Reply #10 on: Mar 25, 2013, 03:50 PM »
If you haven't seen it, there's the "Future of Online Games" panel with Matt Firor (TESO), Dave Georgeson (EQ, EQ2, EQNext), Jon Peters (GW2), Jack Emmert (Neverwinter), Chris Roberts (Star Citizen) and Jeremy Gaffney (WildStar). It's about an hour long.

Starts at 6 hours and 40 minutes in:

http://www.twitch.tv/pax/b/380836937

Ratio

• Admin
Customizable UI
« Reply #11 on: Mar 25, 2013, 08:15 PM »
Quote from: Jon Wiesman
For the last 5 ½ years I've been working here at Carbine on Apollo, the user interface engine for WildStar, which will not only be an XML-based engine that allows you to change the look and layout of the user interface, but is also a Lua-based engine that supports fully customized functionality for that UI.

Obviously, not every player will have the desire to develop Addons, but if you can program at all, I promise you'll be able to make an Addon for our game. Our commitment is to make sure the process is documented, clear, and accessible. Promise.

In the following months, we'll be sharing more information describing how you can get involved in WildStar's Addon program. We're really looking forward to working with you. And it's going to be fun*.

All my best, Jon Wiesman
* As a nerd, my idea of fun is... nerdy. Your mileage may vary.

Ratio

• Admin
« Reply #12 on: Mar 26, 2013, 07:20 PM »

Loxx

• Alumni
« Reply #13 on: Mar 26, 2013, 08:25 PM »
Ok, i'm not much for the PVP's, but the Warplot explanation makes me moist. 

And the focus on the Hardcore/Raiding? I Really hope they stick to their guns and deliver.

Ratio

• Admin
« Reply #14 on: Mar 29, 2013, 06:32 AM »

« Last Edit: Mar 29, 2013, 02:05 PM by Ratio »