mitochondria
Ventrilo
Follow via Facebook Follow via Twitter Follow via YouTube Follow via RSS Steam Group

Author Topic: FINAL Submission: SN1P3R001 (Abstract Logo v3.0)  (Read 1766 times)

SN1P3R001

• Registered
FINAL Submission: SN1P3R001 (Abstract Logo v3.0)
« on: Oct 24, 2011, 01:01 PM »
Here's my Abstract Logo. Couple thumbnails of the previous versions, followed by a fullsize current version.

Previous Versions
[Removed]

Current Version

« Last Edit: Nov 19, 2011, 02:05 PM by SN1P3R001 »

Oopie

• Alumni
Re: Submission: SN1P3R001 (Abstract Logo v1.0)
« Reply #1 on: Oct 24, 2011, 07:58 PM »
Because of the backround it is very hard to see, so id suggest putting it on something colored or atleast white just for the sake of the forums.

Ratio

• Admin
Re: Submission: SN1P3R001 (Abstract Logo v1.0)
« Reply #2 on: Nov 04, 2011, 02:05 PM »
I prefer this on over the Bold one.

I'd like to see the '0' take advantage of negative space if possible, though I'm not exactly sure how it would look. Overlap it a bit, negative cutting into the 5/D and keeping the center black? Just a thought.
Happiness is when you play a game so well that people call you a hacker.

There are two types of people in the world, those who can extrapolate from incomplete information.

Ratio

• Admin
Re: Submission: SN1P3R001 (Abstract Logo v3.0 - UPDATED)
« Reply #3 on: Nov 04, 2011, 09:58 PM »
I think I like the shapes in negative space that are emerging better than the positive part of the logo.  ;D  Specifically the shape formed by the interior of the LD and the -o shape. I'm not sure where to go with that, though.  :-\

Also, the yellowish circle reminds me too much of a fried egg. Though I suppose it wouldn't  inverted on a dark background. Heh.

There are two types of people in the world, those who can extrapolate from incomplete information.

SN1P3R001

• Registered
Re: Submission: SN1P3R001 (Abstract Logo v3.0 - UPDATED)
« Reply #4 on: Nov 06, 2011, 12:05 PM »
I think I like the shapes in negative space that are emerging better than the positive part of the logo.  ;D  Specifically the shape formed by the interior of the LD and the -o shape. I'm not sure where to go with that, though.  :-\

Also, the yellowish circle reminds me too much of a fried egg. Though I suppose it wouldn't  inverted on a dark background. Heh.

Aww, don't mind the egg yellow. I used that color simply to give an example of what it could look like used on here (obviously, you guys would be able to have free run of that if it was chosen, so an example is really all I could give, lol).

Honestly, I think it looks better in a solid color than multi-colored (with a few exceptions), which is what I was trying to go for given that you said it should look good in monochrome. I guess the use of negative space helps with that, though, too.  ;D

I've been thinking about how to use that O to its fullest potential, but the more I do that, the more I start to think that the sheer simplicity of it is what makes it cool.

Also been thinking about adding a drop shadow. But then that might kill the simplicity it has going for it.  ???

EDIT: P.S. I apologize for dropping off the face of the earth; I've been without internet access save for a few precious moments through the last few days.

Ratio

• Admin
Re: Submission: SN1P3R001 (Abstract Logo v3.0)
« Reply #5 on: Nov 08, 2011, 09:08 AM »
I had thought about doing something with a bio hazard logo at one point, but I dumped the idea for a few reasons. One, the first google result for bio hazard is the band. Two, it sort of wasn't Star Wars-y.

Your radiation hazard symbol doesn't suffer from the first issue and whether is suffers from the second is debatable. There are plenty of examples of radiation based and nuclear weapons in the EU... the problem is: would they use the same symbol for a hazard? Before Lucas decided to change the High Galactic in the movies to Aurebesh, I would have said yes--now I'm not so sure; AFAIK no one ever bothered with canon for warning signs. On the other hand, I'm pretty sure that there are Jolly Rogers in Pirates & Privateers, so maybe the symbol would be the same. /shrug

As far as visually, it seems out of balance. Most of the logo is broad strokes and the rad hazard is more detailed, so it sort of sucks your eye to it and becomes the focus of attention, which detracts from the rest of the logo. It up plays the radiation and downplays the LD50... which might not be such a good thing.

My vote is nay on this change.

SN1P3R001

• Registered
Re: Submission: SN1P3R001 (Abstract Logo v3.0)
« Reply #6 on: Nov 09, 2011, 11:17 AM »
Alright, I decided I'm going to make this one my official submission. As much as I like the other one, I feel this one better matches what the contest outlines said LD50 was looking for.

What we're looking for
We are looking for something in good taste with a unique design.
It should be iconic--the shape should be recognizable as LD50's logo even without the explicit text.
If colored, it should be compatible with the current web color scheme.
It has to look good in monochrome. Use white-space effectively.
It should be simple and bold, while also standing out.

It's definitely unique and not retarded. It's recognizable. It's not colored so we can skip that one. That said, it can be colored any way you please. It does look good in monochrome and uses white space VERY effectively (if I don't say so myself). It's bold and it stands out. It's something I could totally see on a shoulder patch, mug, thong, whatever you want. I feel like while my other logo also meets these criteria, it doesn't quite achieve the 'wow' factor that this one does.

With that, I'm officially marking this as my final submission.

Also, I'm still working on those other two concepts. They're not coming out quite like I'd hoped.  :-\
« Last Edit: Nov 09, 2011, 11:19 AM by SN1P3R001 »